Thursday, August 23, 2012

Pumpkin Bread

As requested, here is my Pumpkin Oatmeal Bread recipe!!! I tripled the recipe because I wanted lots...and because I had the giant 29oz can of pumpkin anyway. Why would anyone buy the smaller can? Can someone explain this to me?

So, I am posting this recipe as I made it today. Tripled. You can cut the recipe down if you want, but it freezes nicely and it does taste really good!!! Because of the wheat flour, oatmeal and pumpkin this is a fiber rich low fat bread. =)

Pumpkin Oatmeal Bread with Chocolate Chips


2 cups all purpose white flour
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
3 Tablespoons baking powder
1 Tablespoon baking soda
1 1/2 Tablespoons pumpkin pie spice
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
3 cups old fashioned oats
2 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
2 cups dark chocolate chips
4 eggs, beaten
1 cup olive oil
2 1/2 cups milk (I used vanilla soy, but almond milk would also be great!)
1 29oz can pure pumpkin puree (NOT canned pumpkin pie filling)

NOTE: I use the Old Fashioned Oats because they give the bread a chewy texture. You can substitute quick cooking oats if you prefer. Also, this bread is not very sweet. Intentionally. Add more brown sugar if you want it sweeter.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease 3 loaf pans.

In a large mixing bowl, mix together the first six ingredients. Add the oats, sugar and chocolate chips to the flour mixture and make a well in the center. Pour into the well the eggs, milk and oil. Mix well. Slowly and carefully add the pumpkin puree, mixing until combined.

Divide the batter between the loaf pans and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean of pumpkin (you'll no doubt cut through some chocolate though.). If the tops become too brown before the center is cooked through, cover with tin foil.

Remove from pans immediately and cool on racks.

This makes a great breakfast or snack. My girls love this bread too!

Well, there you go. Enjoy. Let me know if you make it. And what you think.

I baked mine around 10:30 this morning and the house still smells like pumpkin and cinnamon. There really is no better scent for a home!!



I love my pumpkin pan. This is the first time this year I've used it. It's getting to be Fall, people!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment