Thursday, March 15, 2012

The start on my online dairy-free baking journey

Let's face it, a nice creamy chocolate cake does a lot for a lot of people; it does for me.
About a year ago my life was in upheaval. I was sick all the time, completely exhausted, gaining weight like crazy and was too miserable to even enjoy the little pleasant things in life. Like cake. Turns out I had a thyroid problem, and a whey intolerance. Over the last several months my life
has balanced itself out towards normality (or as much as it can for a mother of two!).
As difficult and crazy as these past months have been, it is also a very fun adventure. I love to cook, especially baking. There is just something about mixing together flour, eggs, sugar and milk to create something beautifully delicious that speaks to me. Baking for me is a time to set aside
the worries of life and enjoy the feel of dough beneath my fingertips. Now that I can no longer digest dairy products, I have had to adjust my cooking. It has also helped me realize that I have a deep desire to write a cookbook for people like me.
So, this blog is a starting point as I create recipes and enjoy my love of baking.Sometimes I shall share recipes for you to try. Guinea pigs you are! Other times I shall probably share my cooking failures (like the recent adventure of dairy-free fettuccine Alfredo--yuck!).
Today in honour of my first blog article is a recipe day! While my top quote is about chocolate cake, today's recipe is for scones. I made them today for a tea party with my girls. My idea of heaven includes fresh scones with lemon curd. The scone recipe is mine. Use this recipe for lemon curd from Fine Baking. http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/lemon_curd.aspx If
you are interested in dairy free lemon curd, use Willow Run all soy margarine in place of butter. Bake away my friends!
Homemade Cranberry Lemon Scones with Lemon Curd
A dairy-free recipe!
Scones:
2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 TBS sugar
1 tsp lemon zest
5 TBS cold Willow Run soy margarine, cut into small cubes
1/2-3/4 cup cold vanilla soy milk
1 TBS lemon juice
2/3 cup dried cranberries
Glaze:
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 TBS lemon juice
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Set aside a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
In a medium sized mixing bowl, sift together the dry ingredients. Add the cold butter. Using a fork or a pastry cutter, cut in the butter until the flour is course and crumbly. Stir the lemon juice into the soy milk and let sit 2 minutes. Add the cranberries to the flour mixture.
Make a well in the center and pour in the liquid. Mix the dough until it forms a rough ball. Do not stir the dough too much! Flip the ball out onto a floured counter and quickly knead three times. Flatten your dough to a 1 inch circle. Cut into eighths.
Place each eighth onto your parchment lined baking sheet leaving at least 1 inch in between. Bake 15 minutes or until the tops are lightly browned. Cool on a baking rack. While the scones are
cooling, mix the glaze! Whisk together the powdered sugar and lemon juice until a medium thick liquid is made. Drizzle over the tops of the cooling scones. Lick the bowl after you're done. =)
Serve with lemon curd, clotted cream (if you can eat it!) and tea. Or don't if you can't wait...I won't judge. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment